Flagrant disregard

cmiked. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Sunday, April 01, 2018

Photo Blogging Challenge (March 2018): Five

My only real problem with my plan for FIVE was my project started a while back so I've only included March photos, but you can check out the whole album on Flickr as it grows.

On September 13, 1979, my dad came home with a Silver Anniversary Jeep CJ5. It's been here ever since. For the last 30-35 years it has sat out in the elements at our ranch, used to get us around the pasture. I learned to drive a stick in it, as did my sister, and both my boys. For some reason, late last year, my dad decided it was time to clean it up. He talked about several plans, the worst of which was just to coat the entire thing in bedliner material. That stuff is pretty much permanent and we would never be able to restore the Jeep to anywhere near original. So John and I started a campaign on two fronts: John kept showing him pictures of restored Silver Anniversary's and I directed him to this website created as a registry of Silver Anniversary's. Jeep didn't keep a record of how many of these were made, so this gentleman created this registry of confirmed finds. Less than 125 have been found. Fast forward to March. It spent much of March in the paint shop and a detail shop getting her stripes back. I think she turned out as nice as I remember when new.

IMG_7159
IMG_7161
IMG_7162

At the end of February, we bought Amy a new vehicle. When I picked up the Silver, it needed to be protected from the elements. I couldn't resist our garage full of Jeeps (even if the middle one is a Fiat :) ).
One. Two, Three Jeep Deep.

My dad got back to town so I needed one more DURING shot before we rolled it down to the shop to start reassembly. He drove it while I followed, it has no lights currently, and now we pull out wiring diagrams and old parts and see what we can do to get it put back together.
March2018_7291

Just for grins, here is my sister and friends circa April 1996 driving it at the ranch.
79CJ5SA_1996_

3 comments:

Lisa said...

A creative take on the challenge this month. The CJ5 looks great and I'm sure you're thrilled at the results. Quite the labor of love!

Out and About with the GeoKs said...

What a meaningful and fun family project. Thanks for looping us in and good luck putting everything back together in good working order!

Tamara said...

You've got quite the vehicle fleet!

Great project, I'm sure your Dad appreciated all the hard work!

Apologies for visiting your March post so late. My excuse is I have been busy posting every day in April for A-Z challenge. See you tomorrow for “one person”!