Flagrant disregard

cmiked. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Photo Blogging Challenge (July 2016): Photographer's Choice

I just got too busy and had to bow out of the June challenge. We were travelling a bunch at the end of June and on through July. We had a couple of super adventures. We finished up a week of SCUBA at BSA Florida National High Adventure Sea Base. After a short stay at home we headed to the Atchafalaya swamp of Louisiana for BSA Swamp Base. I could fill my quota with photos just from that event. But, thinking on Photographer's Choice and scanning through my photo-stream, I ended up with a common thread, we'll call it The Skies of July!

This was pretty much my first and last view every day down at Florida Sea Base. Hard to beat a scout trip where we stay in air-conditioned dorms and log eleven SCUBA dives.
SeaBase2016_1030421

I had decided I wasn't going to take pictures at our 4th of July celebration this year, but honestly, it was so boring I ended up doing it. They hired a new company that had electrical problems and there was so much time between the shots that no one knew when it was over. I'm glad I had a camera.
FourthontheBrazos2016_1030444
Next up was Swamp Base. I don't know what I expected to see, marshy, muggy, and hot is what I expected to feel. I was pleasantly surprised. We were blessed with overcast during the canoeing times and an occasional shower. And beautiful sunsets.
SwampBase2016_7170208


Our last day, we woke up at 4AM and were on the water as soon as we could see it, abut 5AM. We paddled to this spot the guides knew and enjoyed breakfast and this sunrise!
SwampBase2016_7190290

Those of you who follow me, know my oldest just turned 16 and he and my dad have been rebuilding this 1983 Jeep CJ7. He still only has a learners permit so we have to ride together. Nights like this, I don't mind at all. We had a nice summer storm blow in and when it cleared it left the temps in the mid 80s F. A welcome relief to our week of 100s+ F.
Post storm ride.

And, as you know by now, I bend the rules occasionally. The photographer chooses to add a sixth photo because I finally got to ride on a fan boat. I had to share the sheer awesomeness of it! I made it smaller so it's not like it's really a sixth picture, right? Right!
SwampBase2016_7160084


It was quite a fun-filled month, I've got the whole thing on line over at flickr. Please, Verizon, don't screw that up! You can find more photos over at a 'lil hoohaa. Keep a lookout for August's theme and join us, won't you!.

7 comments:

Katherine said...

HOLY COW.... these are INCREDIBLE. Absolutely stunning. The fireworks... WOW. And all the water ones. You did a fantastic job. What an adventure!

BeckyB said...

These are fantastic 😊

Tamara said...

Very nice shots!
You were so bored, luckily you had a camera, hahahaha!
I'm currently watching old episodes of CSI Miami, so that fan boat looked familiar.
Happy birthday, new driver!

TinaB said...

WOW! I'm blown away by your pics! I love pics of the sky - sunrise/sunset/sunshine. Yours are great. The fireworks shot is awesome. It looks almost like flowers.

Unknown said...

Mike, thanks so much for sharing your amazing adventures. Your on-going involvement with scouts seems to bring a whole range of good things, not least of which is great subjects for photography. Terrific images this month, as usual. And I hear you re: Verizon...I don't use Flickr all that much, but don't want to see it messed up.

P.J. said...

You always have some great images to look over. The amount of photos you must take has to be pretty incredible though! :D

Great shots for the sunsets/rise.

And when you are out on the water, do you take your main gear?

PJ said...

Love all your photos but especially the one of the fireworks as it is beautiful. I very envious of you getting to ride on a fan boat as when I was growing up in Tasmania we used to watch a program called Gentle Ben and they had these boats in that.