Flagrant disregard

cmiked. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Friday, October 31, 2014

Photo Blogging Challenge (October 2014): Photographer’s choice

Another month, another photo challenge, another hard decision. Photographer's choice was the theme. I was trying to make it harder than I needed to so here is my collection:

October finds us in the middle of football. I took the opportunity of an away game and fabulous to hunt out some new caches placed around the new stadium and grab a picture or two.

october_2014_7998

October is also fair time in Texas. We have the Heart of Texas Fair and Rodeo here in town. My boys are getting big enough that they want to roam alone so I have almost no photos from this year's fair. But we also have the State Fair of Texas going on in Big D. Fletcher's Corny Dogs are a must eat and no trip would be complete without your photo with Big Tex. He started out as a Santa Claus in a little town called Kerens. You can read his history here. He also burned up on the last day of the fair last year so this is a brand new Tex.
SFOT_2014_5210

We have Football, Fairs, how about Fall. I have to leave town to see any real fall colors. I took a short trip to Southern Pines, North Carolina for some fall golf.
Quiet Carolina Morning #fmsphotoaday

We had a partial solar eclipse visible this month. It was just about sundown so I was able to get out and take some shots. This was using an IR filter stacked with an ND8 just to knock it all down and have some latitude with ISO and aperture. The large sunspot on the left of the cluster is supposedly twice the size of Earth.partial_solar_eclipse_5392

Finally, October is Hallowe'en. If you've followed PJs blog long enough, you may have read my case for Hallowe'en post from a few years ago. I like to go all out for Hallowe'en and I always have. I've got my boys helping now. And as always, we'll be live streaming (or live screaming) all night long!
Four graves ready for fright. #fmsphotoaday
So there are this months five. There are so many more over at PJs blog. Join us, won't you. One of us, one of us, gooble, gobble...

7 comments:

nonamedufus said...

Oh, wow, that's a lovely looking golf course. Nice collection of pics this month.

Katherine said...

I always love your pictures... they are so full of adventure.

We weren't able to see the eclipse from where we live. I can't believe what an amazing shot you got. That is crazy good.

And Halloween...my very favorite holiday EVER.... your yard is super awesome. Darn.. live streaming... I would have loved to see that. The shovel is a great touch by the grave!

Tami Von Zalez said...

Cool solar eclipse image ~

Paul Myers said...

The solar eclipse shot is just amazing, especially when you consider the size of those sunspots.

I was able to attend a geocaching event at a haunted house last night. One of the best haunted houses I've every gone through.

P.J. said...

You always do some great shots, Mike. The blues in a couple of those shots are great. Love the view of the football stadium. That eclipse is amazing. And I didn't see the live video, but hope you have some of the Halloween stuff recorded and saved. I am not a huge halloween person, as you know, but your creations are always amazing.

Lisa said...

That partial solar eclipse is fantastic! I have yet to capture one of those. And I absolutely love the Halloween yard art!

Unknown said...

Just wow! Those blue skies are fantastic! Two bridges in one shot...also pretty great. Love the leading lines in the golf photograph. I think Halloween is a much bigger deal in the U.S. than it is here in Canada. We happened to be in New York City on Halloween and the police were shutting down roads starting about 2 o'clock in the afternoon to get ready for that evening's Halloween parade. Nothing like that here, that's for sure. Your display at home is WAY more impressive than even the biggest Halloween fans here in Calgary. Great to see it via photo...not so sure I'd want to see it in person in the dark of night ;)