Flagrant disregard

cmiked. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Photo Blogging Challenge (October 2013): Fall

This month's challenge was Fall. Around here, Fall brings football, fairs, and slightly cooler weather. I'm a big fan of Hallowe'en too; so I always look forward to that. Without further ado, my month's photos.

Waco hosts the Heart of Texas Fair and Rodeo every year in October. The boys keep getting more and more adventurous on the rides, especially Will.

HOTFair2013_9335


The rodeo has grown quite a bit over the years. It's a qualifier for the PRCA events. We sponsor a team for the Calf Scramble every year. That's where high school kids chase down a cow and, if they catch it, raise it to show the following year. It provides some scholarship money for them and is always fun to follow their progress.

HOTFair2013_9458


Our school only offers flag football and only through 6th grade so this is our last year of cheering on the Wildcats. I coached them a few years ago and I enjoy seeing how they have improved over the years.

WCS_Football_2013_9510


The fall also brings Big Tex and the State Fair of Texas. Big Tex, who started his life as a Santa Claus in Kerens, TX, was destroyed in a fire in the last days of the fair last year. You can read about it here. We got to see the new and bigger Big Tex this year. I'll leave out whether he is better now. My mom is back from her summer in New York and we spent the day with her and the cousins. I needed a Fletcher's corn dog fix.

SFOT_2013_9743


As I mentioned, I love Hallowe'en. The weather has been uncooperative so I'm pushing up against tomorrows deadline on getting stuff out. I've changed it up a bit and I'll post an update with the final product after it becomes final.

I made her a bouquet today. #halloween


It's difficult to pare down 179 photos to just five. I invite you to take a look at my world on my Flickr photostream. Until next month... Visit the other entries here.

11 comments:

Lisa said...

That is one amazing rodeo shot! Believe it or not, I have a nephew who considers himself a professional bull rider. All your shots are great Fall fotos.

nonamedufus said...

Great photos. Fall's a bit different in Texas than it is north of the border. You wouldn't get me near the ride in that first picture. Wow. I love the last pic. She's almost attractive.

Babs-beetle said...

The photo of the rodeo is fantastic and the last one is a tad scary.

Jo said...

your fall is so different from mine ... fairs and rodeos are in the summer up in my part of the world ... and fall is for soccer in the rain ... so much fun to see how everyone else lives!

Jay said...

We don't seem to get fairs in the autumn here - they're more a spring and summer thing!

P.J. said...

Some great images, Mike. That one at the top ... I'd never go on that ride. I like how you went outside the box for this theme and I knew there'd be Halloween stuff with you!

Paul Myers said...

An excellent set of shots for the theme set this month. Very well done shot of the bronco buster.

Katherine said...

OMG OMG OMG YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY IS AMAZING!!! Holy cow!!!!

Ziva said...

Holy crap, I can't get over how amazing that rodeo photo is! Awesome capture. :)

Mike Davis said...

Thanks, all, for the kind compliments.

Unknown said...

I'm a week late to the "visit and comment" aspect of the October photo challenge, but am kinda glad about that. Not only do I get to enjoy a flashback to autumn now that it's full-on winter in Alberta, but I get a better sense of how everyone approached the theme.

Your linky is number 10 on the list and is a wonderfully unique take on "fall". Most of us went with leaves and such. Love that your photos feature so many people (living and ???) and do such a great job conveying what fall is like in Texas. Thank you!