Flagrant disregard

cmiked. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Photo Blogging Challenge (August 2015): Rule of thirds

This month's challenge was the Rule of Thirds. As I was putting this all together I found myself wishing I had more examples of NOT following the rule. We all know the rules of photography were meant to be broken. And I know I have plenty of examples of that in my photo stream. Enough about breaking rules, lets look at those I took this month that follow the Rule of Thirds.

Sometimes I like using the bottom third leaving some negative space up top.
AMERICAN AIRLINES

It's true that following the Rule of Thirds lends to a visually appealing photograph. I've been doing it so long that generally I don't even think about it.
Smile!

People portraits are the easiest, I think, in terms of the Rule of Thirds. The eyes have it! Or at least the head.
WDFM82215_9868

But animals work pretty good too. You don't have to keep it a traditional framing in order to keep it in the thirds.
DogDay2015_

This one is another example of a more non-traditional framing. I wanted to increase the sense of urgency by showing the kid trying to run off the frame vs. more lead room of a traditional framing.
EquityPicnic2015_0007

And a bonus shot to show you can go vertical as well and still follow the Rule of Thirds and she was just too sassy not to include.
EquityPicnic2015_0105

Check out more examples by visiting the other participants over at a 'lil hoohaa blog. Take a look at September's challenge and think about participating. Visit all of my August shots over at my flickr stream. Until next month.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the sass! I do like all your shots and think you chose five great examples. it's always easy to show what NOT to do, isn't it?! Guess that would have been an interesting take on the theme as well! :-)

Unknown said...

I find it interesting that you find it has been easy as it is naturally your style - I had the opposite issue. This month's challenge made me realise just how little it use this rule so I had to really work on it.

Unknown said...

Harder to apply the rule of thirds when your subjects are moving! What a great set of photographs that show how creatively applying such "rules" results in interesting, dynamic images. The accompanying comments are very helpful in deepening my understanding of how to use the rule of thirds on something other than landscapes.

Clare B said...

Yes I agree, you have a really good set of photographs here. The rule of thirds is really effective in all your images. I love the car shot and of course the dog. All your images are very unique and interesting.

Mine are on my other blog this month https://claresphotomix.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/the-rule-of-thirds/

P.J. said...

I think you did a solid job this month with the theme. I am the same way in that I break the rules more often than I follow them. Nicely done though. That car looks like it'd be fun to drive, too. :)

Pat B said...

I like all the photos you shared. It is helpful to see photos by people who find this technique "old hat." I'm kind of new at applying this rule to my photos. Hopefully it will become more natural to me as I keep practicing.